The known existing Books of Allah -I
In today's fast-paced world, it is a must for manufacturers of almost every product - from state-of-the-art microwave ovens to space age automobiles, from sophisticated sewing machines to powerful fighter jets, and from highly functional refrigerators to intelligent mainline computer systems - to provide a manual for the users' benefit. In light of that, it is impossible to conceive that the Maker of mankind did not equip him with any form of guidance for his life on earth.
It is unlikely that early man, with his limited knowledge about anything, groped about the planet and endeavored to understand his alien surroundings and circumstances. We know for a fact that a child is always full of questions, and never stops asking to satisfy his/her curiosity.
Without an adult's aid, he/she is helpless. The same applies in the case of the first man, Adam . His Creator, Almighty Allah, became his Teacher. After him, Divine inspiration continued to be revealed upon selected human beings with the command to guide their brethren towards enlightenment and truth.
These revelations were sent to many different nations in many different tongues, and formulated according to the needs of the times and the understanding of the people.
Almighty Allah revealed those Divine Books to His messengers as proof against mankind and guidance for the righteous workers. They purified and taught them wisdom by these books.
Allah, the Most Exalted, sent down a book with every messenger, because He Says (what means): "Indeed We sent down Our messengers with the clear signs, and We sent down with them the book and the balance, so that people may uphold justice" [Quran 57:25]
Among the books that were revealed, we know:
1) The Torah, which was revealed to Prophet Moosa (Moses) . It is the greatest among the Israelites' books: Almighty Allah Says (what means): "Indeed, We sent down the Torah, in which was guidance and light. The prophets who submitted [to Allah] judged by it for the Jews, as did the rabbis and scholars by that with which they were entrusted of the Scripture of Allah, and they were witnesses thereto." [Quran 5:44]
2) The Gospel, which Allah revealed to Prophet 'Eesa (Jesus) . It is a confirmation of the Torah and a complement to it, as Almighty Allah Says (what means): "…and We gave him ('Eesaa) the Gospel, in which was guidance and light and confirming that which preceded it of the Torah as guidance and instruction for the righteous." [Quran 5:46]. Allah also Says (what means): "…and to make lawful for you some of what was forbidden to you." [Quran 3:50]
3) The Psalms, which Allah gave to Prophet Dawood (David) . Almighty Allah Says (what means): "… And to Daawood (David) We gave the Psalms]." [Quran 17:55]
4) The Tablets of Ibraheem (Abraham) and Moosa may Allah exalt their mention.
5) The Glorious Quran, which was revealed to Prophet Muhammad the final Prophet. Allah Almighty Says (what means): "…guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion." [Quran 2:185].
The Quran Is Protected from Change:
As Allah, the Most Exalted, Says (what means), The Quran: "…confirming that which preceded it of the Scripture and as a criterion over it." [Quran 5:48] Thus, by means of the Quran, Allah abrogated all the previous revealed books. Allah has also guaranteed its protection from any play or mischievous distortion. He states (what means): "Indeed, We sent down the message and We will guard it." [Quran 15:9], for the Quran is a proof against mankind till the Day of Judgment.
Previous Scriptures Changed:
The previous scriptures were meant for a limited period. Their use ended with the revelation of the Quran, which abrogated them and exposed their distortions and changes done by the people. That is why they were not protected from corruption. They underwent distortion, addition, and omission. The Quran referred to this fact in the verses (which mean): "Some of the Jews pervert words from their meanings…" [Quran 4:46];
Allah also Says (what means): "So woe to those who write the “scripture” with their own hands, then say, “This is from Allah,” in order to exchange it for a small price. Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for what they earn." [Quran 2:79];
Allah also Says (what means): "Say (O Muhammad), 'Who revealed the Scripture that Moosaa (Moses) brought as light and guidance to the people? You [Jews] make it into pages, disclosing [some of] it and concealing much." [Quran 6:91];
Allah also Says (what means): "And indeed, there is among them a party who alter the Scripture with their tongues so you may think it is from the Scripture, but it is not from the Scripture. And they say, “This is from Allah,” but it is not from Allah. And they speak untruth about Allah while they know." [Quran 3:78];
And He also Says (what means): "O People of the Scripture, there has come to you Our Messenger making clear to you much of what you used to conceal of the Scripture and overlooking much. There has come to you from Allah a light and a clear Book [i.e. the Quran]. By which Allah guides those who pursue His pleasure to the ways of peace and brings them out from darkness into the light, by His permission, and guides them to a straight path." [Quran 5:15-16].