Whether one can give his mother unlawfully gained property to perform Hajj
Fatwa No: 101535

  • Fatwa Date:25-8-2016 - Thul-Qi'dah 22, 1437
  • Rating:


Is it permissible for a man whose money is ill-gotten to give his mother some of it so as to perform Hajj, putting in mind that she does not know that his money is unlawful?


All perfect praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah and that Muhammad, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, is His slave and Messenger.

It is impermissible for this man to give his mother out of his unlawfully gained property so as to perform Hajj with it because he does not possess it (as per the Sharee'ah). It is due on him, after repenting to Allaah, to rid himself of that property by spending it on the interests of Muslims. An exception is made if his mother is poor and needy and he has no lawful money beyond his necessary need to give her thereof, in which case he can give her from it as a way of getting rid of the unlawful property.

Allaah Knows best.

Related Fatwa